The Jeans Edit - All the Types of Jeans & How To Wear Them

By Gal Dagan | Styles | 03/01/19

LONG READ -- If you’d ask me what’s the one item I wear most days, though I try to switch it up but then again end up wearing it again.. the answer will be jeans. It’s true! I wake up and go to pick out my outfit for the day and somehow, I end up 90% of the time with one of my levi's jeans on. No matter the season, I’ve got plenty of types of jeans for whatever weather is coming my way. And though each fashion season there’s a new jeans style trend, there will always be a style of jeans in designer’s collections. Because let’s be honest here, a pair of jeans is one of the very basics of every wardrobe.

Regard this blog as your go-to guide to all things jeans. What are the types of jeans you should know about? What colours should you go for? What to wear with jeans, no matter your size? That and more you’ll find out!

The Jeans Edit - All the Types of Jeans & How To Wear Them

Jeans Style Breakdown


Let’s start at the beginning - a list of jeans styles ahead of you now!

Psst… if you don’t know your figure, check out this blog to help you find out yours.

The Skinny Jeans
Fit: very tight from waist to ankle
Frequent waist: high / regular / low
Wash: dark / light / colours

> Perfect for: O-figure, X-figure

The Straight Leg Jeans
Fit: loose but not oversized from waist to ankle
Frequent waist: high / regular / low
Wash: dark / light / colours

> Perfect for: A-figure, X-figure

The Slim Jeans
Fit: narrow cut from waist to ankle - tighter than straight, looser than skinny
Frequent waist: high / regular
Wash: dark / light / colours

> Perfect for: A-figure, O-figure, X-figure

The Bootcut & Flares Jeans
Fit: bootcut’s slimming from waist to knee, flares down to ankle; flare’s loose waist to knee, flares down to ankle
Frequent waist: regular / high
Wash: dark / light / colours

> Perfect for: H-figure, V-figure

The Boyfriend Jeans
Fit: very loose waist to ankle
Frequent waist: regular / high
Wash: dark / light / colours

> Perfect for: X-figure, H-figure

The Tapered Jeans
Fit: loose waist to knee, tighter knee to ankle
Frequent waist:
Wash: dark / light / colours

> Perfect for: V-Figure, H-figure

The Jeans Edit - All the Types of Jeans & How To Wear Them

Important Jeans Details


When looking for a pair of jeans, there are a couple of things to look out for besides the obvious types of jeans and sizes.

  • Leg length: petite and tall gals should pay close attention to the length of the leg to avoid too much/little material (try cropped or extra long)

  • Materials: the perfect jeans consists of 90-99% cotton and 1% elastane

  • Pockets: the size should fit the size of your butt - too small will make your butt look too big, too big will make your butt look too small etc.

  • Fly: zipper or buttons, which one are you most comfortable with?

The Jeans Edit - All the Types of Jeans & How To Wear Them

What To Wear With Jeans - The Lookbook

 

Now you know your favourite fit, waist and wash, how should you style yours? See ahead a couple of examples of how to style your favourite jeans style..

Skinny Jeans Look

The Skinny Jeans Look
The Straight Leg Jeans Look
The Slim Jeans Look
The Flare Jeans Look
The Boyfriend Jeans Look
The Tapered Jeans Look

Personal Favourite

If you’ve read several of my previous blogs, you’ll know by now that I wear black about 98% of the time (the other 2% are other dark colours.. oops). So you can imagine that the my answer to what to wear with jeans is... black jeans outfit for everyday use, or for any use really. No matter where you’re going, I believe a pair of black jeans is always a good option for a look. Don’t believe me? See here a couple of black jeans outfit ideas for any occasion.

Black Jeans - Casual

Black Jeans Look - Casual

Black Jeans - Going Out

Black Jeans Look - Going Out

Black jeans - Party

Black Jeans Look - Party
The Jeans Edit - All the Types of Jeans & How To Wear Them

Which one of these black jeans outfit is your favourite? Let me know in the comments!

With this guide I'm sure you'll find your way around jeans now - you know what the types of jeans are, important information to keep in mind and I've given you a couple of outfit ideas to consider.

I'm curious which style is your favourite, so do let me know in the comments below and don't forget to tag @fashiola_ on Instagram to show me your jeans looks! 

Love GalGal Dagan
Interesting?

Share this blog with your friends!

COMMENT ON THIS BLOG