Designer fashion is something that I think we all love. What I love even more is finding a special designer piece from a few years ago that I still think about, or finding a new designer piece for a great price. Step in: Vestiaire Collective. They are the biggest online marketplace for vintage and luxury fashion and you can find all kinds of gems on their site.
I was lucky enough to ask some questions to one of the co-founders are current brand communications director, Fanny Moizant.
- Since its foundation in 2009, Vestiaire Collective has quickly turned into the biggest online marketplace for vintage luxury and designer fashion. As its current Brand Communications Director, can you explain how this innovative project was born?
- "Back in 2009, I noticed that people were selling previous season products on their blogs during the recession but I was concerned that there wasn’t a trusted online site that would guarantee authenticity and give a fair price for the piece depending on its condition. I had just had my daughter and wanted to work for myself so I started searching my friend’s wardrobes and pulled out anything that they didn’t use that we could sell and along with the other 5 co-founders we launched Vestiaire Collective from our flats in Paris. That was 8 years ago, now we have offices in 5 countries and over 6 million members on the site.”
- The most innovative feature of this designer resale online shop may be perhaps recognized in its combination of all the potentialities of a fashion e-commerce site with all the advantages of a social network. What is that inspired you this idea of combining the world of resale sites and those of social networks?
- “The site is a perfect mix of e-commerce and social network. We focus on our community of over 6 million people; we encourage them to interact with each other so it’s not just a ‘buy sell’ experience but more like friends swapping wardrobes! Vestiaire Collective is more than just a shopping site but somewhere you can go to read interesting articles, watch videos with inspiring women. None of our competitors have the Global community that we do.”
- How would you describe your relationship with luxury fashion and the world of online shopping? How can the team of Vestiaire Collective guarantee the authenticity and quality of its fashion items?
- “In 2012 we signed the Fight Against Online Counterfeiting Charter initiated by the French government. The charter joins us with brands such as Chanel, Celine, Dior, Burberry, Givenchy and Louis Vuitton in order to collaborate in the fight against the sale of online counterfeits, which we are extremely passionate about. I think our Authenticity and Quality Control teams are what helps us to stand out from our competitors. We give our customers the chance to shop from a tightly curated collection edited by our team of curators, quality control and authenticity experts. Once an item has sold, the seller will send the item to one of our hubs in either our Head Office in Paris or our New York hub. Here our Quality Control teams hand check every item ensuring that they meet the description set by the seller. Our Authenticity specialists ensure that each item is authentic - our team come from quality backgrounds and are trained to VC standards.”